Friday, April 15, 2011

Call of Cthulhu - The Haunting original maps

And now for something completely different! Despite being scattered across three states, I was recently able to get an RPG going amongst my friends. It's been years since I played, and longer since I tried to run a tabletop game. The natural choice seemed to be Star Wars Saga Edition, but I couldn't quite work up the confidence for the somewhat elaborate combat. Then I came across the Call of Cthulhu Quick Start Rules.

I fell in love with the simplicity of the system immediately. I'd heard about the sanity system for a long time, and the percentile based skill system was familiar from my RIFTS days, but the streamlined rules which favored story and horror over stats seemed like a perfect match for our experiment in running a table top RPG virtually.

Skype's conference call feature would serve as our vocal link up, while RPTool's MapTool proved to be a wonderful way to coordinate combat and visuals.

While I fancy myself quite well versed in the arcane arts of PhotoShop, using it to design the maps for our adventure was a new challenge for me. I'm mostly please with the results, but found object creation and placement endlessly frustrating. Ultimately I ended up using Google Sketchup's extensive object library to generate top down views to import into my map. The results are a bit more barren and unpopulated than I'd like, but worked quite well for our scenario.

The Second Floor









The Ground Floor













The Basement


3 comments:

  1. These look great Dan, I've just started looking at Roll20 Online virtual rpg for the same effect - bringing together scattered rpg mates - check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the custom lighting in maptool made that play really nicely too

    ReplyDelete