Monday, April 20, 2015

Pirate Couple - Cake Topper

I did a pair of custom figures for a good friend's wedding a while back, and she recently contacted me to see if I could help with her friend's cake toppers. They were looking for pirate themed toppers, as the bride had sculpted an amazing kraken to adorn the cake, but couldn't find any suitable figures for the monster to fight. The catch was, like any good wedding project, there was only a week before the big day.

It sounded like a fun challenge, so I took a shot, and I'm glad I did. The reduced deadline meant I had to look at a source of figures I normally ignore, the 3-4" static figures you normally find at specialty toy shops and craft stores. With shipping to get the figures in, and shipping to get the completed topper to the wedding on time, I had a very narrow window of time to work with.

I got some great source pictures of what the bridge and groom would be wearing, and while I didn't have time to make the figures super accurate to their source, I was able to incorporate enough details and colors to get a general likeness. And I learned that despite the lack of articulation, static figures are a source of interesting and unusual parts I would normally overlook.

Evidently everyone was very pleased with the results, and I couldn't have been happier with how they came out especially considering the time crunch and working with a new type of figure.

Part Recipes:
The Groom
Joclad Danva - Head
Papo Napoleon - Vest and Legs
Papo Blue Barbossa - Coat and Arms

The Bride
Papo Pirate Girl - Upper Body
Papo Andalusian Princess - Skirt
POTC Angelica - Hat, Hands
Zam Wesell - Hat Veils

X-men Evolution Nightcrawler II - Driftwood Raft (from picnic table accessory)

No comments:

Post a Comment